The Lodge consecrated in 1923 had its origin in Edmonton and its name “Elia” was a suggestion of one of its Founders. “Elia” was the pen name of Charles Lamb, the Essayist. His heart was full of charity and love for all, in particular to the members of his family, whom he sustained during those tragedies that befell them. His Sister Mary suffered several mental breakdowns and during one she stabbed her Mother to death during an argument. Lamb displayed truly masonic characteristics and agreed to care for his sister throughout their lifetime to spare her from jail or being permanently institutionalised. He is buried, with his beloved sister Mary, in Edmonton churchyard so the title is apt, as the Founders were a band of friends living in that district. Lamb’s most well-known work “The Essays of Elia” was published in 1823 so it was of great coincidence to adopt the name on the centenary of its publication.
Elia became a Hall Stone Lodge when it bore its share of the cost of Freemasons Hall, built as a memorial to those who fought in The Great War, in Great Queen Street, voting in agreement to take part in the Million Memorial Fund. Twenty members qualified for the Jewel, and the Hall Stone Jewel worn by the Master is testimony to the fulfilment of their obligations.
The Lodge first met at Beale’s Restaurant in North London then the Horse Shoe Hotel, Central London, before moving to the Kingsley Hotel in Bloomsbury for the Installation meeting of 1964, with no disruption of dates except to advance the September meetings by one week. This was our home at the time of our Fiftieth Anniversary when we had the honour of entertaining RW Bro Sir James Stubbs the then Grand Secretary as our principal guest.
When the Central London Masonic Centre in Clerkenwell was established in September 1979 we became one of the first to subscribe and witnessed it develop through good times, and then through not so good.
When it was decided the Centre had to be sold we alongside almost 200 other Lodges moved into commercial premises in the same area. This proved to be a disaster as far as Masonry was concerned and it had to be closed after just a couple of years and sold on. All the subscribing Lodges had to find new homes within the London area, and we moved to The Civil Service Club in Great Scotland Yard, Central London, where we still hold our regular meetings today.